Friday, January 15, 2010

The 90-Day Vortex Diet - Day 12


I had an interesting experience with a friend yesterday.  I felt attacked by this person when I was trying to love and support them.

No matter how good my intentions may be they don't matter if the other person doesn't let it in...  Hmmmmm...  It reminds me of the phrase attributed to Jesus the Christ, "do not cast your pearls before swine".

The miracle is that I did not take this person's lashing out at me to heart of did I take it personally.  I just excused myself.  Then I went on with my day and continued to take care of myself as I've been doing.

Self love does not always look the same to me.  Sometimes it is applying tough love or setting boundaries and limits with a friends or family.  Sometimes it looks like receiving therapy, body work or other growth work.  Sometimes it is just relaxing and reading.  It really depends on the moment and what is called for.

Yesterday when I felt attacked I just let it go and kept moving.  I know this person is going through a rough patch and is lashing out for whatever reason.  I don't have to be a participant AND, more importantly, if this person values our relationship, they will respect where I am coming from.  If not, then oh well, I will keep moving forward and just limit my contact with this individual.

This is what I call radical self-love.  No one can give this to me.  I have to do this.  Radical self-love doesn't just mean taking care of my physical, emotional or spiritual needs.  It also means protecting myself when a friend, family member or fellow human lashes out.

This is where I am today.  This Vortex Diet is bringing to my awareness areas of my life in which I have not taken my self-love as serious as I could.  This is not bad news, this is glad news.  I can make adjustments accordingly and continue moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment