Friday, May 24, 2013

AIDS/Lifecycle 12 - An Unforgettable Journey

Thoughts before beginning...

As I get to the last week before the ride, I sit back a bit to ponder the last 8 months that I have been working up to this point. What a journey and certainly a lot of "stuff" that needed to be completed.

I have spent countless hours in the saddle toughening up my legs and butt in order to handle seven days and 545 miles.  Wow!  In the last 4 weeks I have peddled over 800 miles and have climbed over 18,000 vertical feet.  This year, 2013, I have peddled over 1,800 miles and climbed over 44,000 vertical feet. OH MY GOD! Last week alone I cycled over 240 miles; that's almost half the distance of the Ride itself.  The statistics of this training regimin really brings home these accomplishments.  I am proud of what I have done to condition my body.  Now I have to work on my mind...

I have held numerous fundraising events and sent out over 50 emails to friends and family requesting support for this event. I have received donations ranging from $10  to $750.  I have had friends donate twice.  Some by "accident", some on purpose.  I have received support from High School mates and friends I haven't seen in years.  I am deeply touched by the outpouring of love and support I have received and continue to receive.  It warms my heart and brings tears to my eyes when I think about it.

As of today I have raised over $7500 for HIV/AIDS services in California. That, in itself, is a huge accomplishment that I am once again very proud of. And, and, and, the contributions continue to come in... Thank you everyone for your support!!!

I have spent the last 8 weeks getting up at "Buttcrack O'Clock" to avoid the desert heat.  Let me tell you, it's not fun riding in temperatures over 90 degrees.  We get that a lot here!  A LOT! I can honestly say I am glad that is coming to a close because I feel like my whole life revolves around cycling right now.  I feel ready and my legs feel ready.

Finally, I come to the teary part of this article.  Why in the heck I do this ride and choose to ride 545 miles over 7 days.

What you probably don't know about me is that I was diagnosed with HIV in 2005 as the result of a Methamphetamine addiction. I took health risks that put my life in jeopardy and directly caused my seroconversion. Since that time I have dealt with numerous HIV related health issues and have directly benefitted from the HIV/AIDS Service organizations that benefit from this ride.  This is one way I can give back for what I've received.

I dedicate this ride to my amazing miracle of a life-partner, Rey Thayne Jr., who has unselfishly supported me every step of the way.  He has endured countless mornings and afternoons alone while I rode my bicycle.  He has provided support for some of our rides and has gone on several road trips for training rides.  He has even assisted me with numerous fundraisers and been a FIERCE advocate for AIDS/Lifecycle without EVER experiencing the ride.  Wow! He truly is my champion and hero!  Without his support, I know I could not have done all that I have. Thank you Rey you cute little cheerleading miracle!!!

I am riding on behalf of:
  • My departed friends Greg Morgan, Mark Moore & Brian Krone
  • Those out there still in the grips of methamphetamine and drug addiction
  • My brothers and sisters in recovery from addiction
  • My HIV positive brothers and sisters who can't ride

I want to thank the AIDS/Lifecycle community and the Positive Peddlers. Thanks to Gabriel Rocha, I was introduced to these amazing organizations in 2007 when I was coming out of my addiction. I was blessed to have participated as a Roadie in 2008 and 2009.  AIDS/Lifecycle and the Positive Peddlers changed my life and taught me to live again without shame or fear. Without the support of these communities I know I would not have survived addiction or HIV!

And finally a shout out to my peops the Desert Roadrunners with whom I have grown extremely fond. We have ridden countless miles, partied and supported each other. With your help I have created yet another family to hold me up when I don't have the strength to hold myself up.

Now let's ride ya'll!  Yee Ha!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great post Stefan. I knew some of what you were doing and why but this is a very moving story. Also, I didn't know you were a Roadie on my first two rides. Its great to be riding with you this year and look forward to seeing you beginning on Saturday! All the best and many hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will read every blog and be with you vicariously on this journey. Have a safe and joyous adventure! Jill

    ReplyDelete