Sunday, June 9, 2013

AIDS/Lifecycle 12 - An Unforgettable Journey - Day 1

Opening Ceremonies, 2,200 cyclist and 500 volunteers at Cow Palace.
I peddled 86 miles and climbed 6,156 verticle feet today.

What an amazing journey I got to partake of to say the least.  Opening Ceremonies were a beautiful and moving tribute to what this ride is all about.  We ride because others can't and the money raised goes directly to those that need it most.

I got to connect and see folks I haven't seen since 2008.  I got to reconnect with my ex and thank him for introducing me to this amazing community and event.  Truly if it weren't for him and his advice early on in my HIV experience, I would not be where I am today.  Thank you Gabo!!!

Me waiting at the starting line.

We rode out of Cow Palace to heavy fog that dripped off the cypress trees like rain.  I was concerned that it was actually rain and that they would call off the day. Silly me!

There was a delicious long climb up HWY 92 and I was surprised as I crested the hill to find a cheering squad of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence handing out Strawberries.  I greedly stuffed three in my mouth and chewed and swallowed them on the descent.  I love the descent on hills like that because I get to cool off from the wind whipping through me as I descend.

The whole day was foggy and heavy with the marine layer, but we still proceeded past beautiful Northern California beaches, bluffs and cliffs.  Truly amazing scenery!

Finally after peddling 86 miles we rolled into Santa Cruz and set up our tent city. I got there kind of early since I have a good, strong pace and don't doddle too much at the rest and lunch stops. This afforded more time in camp to hobnob with old friends and make new ones.

Desert Roadrunner friends at Rest Stop 1
I really missed being a part of this community. There is a brother/sisterhood of love, acceptance, assistance and camaraderie  that spans cultures, gender and sexual orientation. It is like NOTHING I've experienced before. They call it the "Love Bubble".  

Luckily, in Palm Springs and the Coachella Valley we have a similar culture.

Oh, and it's official, we, you and I, helped raise OVER 14.2 million dollars for HIV/AIDS.  Wow!

Please enjoy the rest of my pics from Day 1!!!

Camping it up at Rest Stop 2.
Little Rey Rey enjoying lunch with me.
The lunch venue.  Gorgeous, but foggy.
Cycling friends Karen and Jose.
Some of the characters at Rest Stop 3 (notice little Rey Rey)
Another Rest Stop character with Rey Rey.
A gorgeous view I had to stop and capture!
Rest Stop character with Rey Rey.
Rest Stop characters with Rey Rey.
Rest Stop 3 scenery.
Rest Stop character with me and Rey Rey.
The beautiful setting for Rest Stop 4.
One of MANY stunning vistas I got to experience!
Rest Stop 4 characters. 
Rey Rey helping me set up our tent.
Dining hall.  It actually sat about 1000... This is a tiny portion.
Tent city. About 1000 tents nightly...
Rey Rey admiring my decor of our tent.
Home for a week...



No comments:

Post a Comment